Dispose of hazardous materials safely

Kewaunee County Emergency Management, in conjunction with UW-Extension, will be having a hazardous waste collection at the Hillside Shop, Highway 54, Casco, on September 8, 2012 from 8am until noon. This is a free service to Kewaunee County residents.

Kewaunee County Hazardous Waste Collection will give farmers, Ag businesses and households an opportunity to dispose of unused, damaged, cancelled, banned or unwanted chemicals, pesticides and household wastes in an environmentally safe manner.  The collection is open to all residents of Kewaunee County.  Businesses, industries and institutions cannot participate in the free disposal, but will be allowed to dispose of chemicals at their own expense.  Please contact the Emergency Management office at 920-845-9700 to be put in touch with the waste disposal company.

Farmers can dispose of up to 200 pounds of chemicals and pesticides; households may bring up to and no more than a combination of liquid or 50 pounds of solid hazardous waste for free disposal.  Acceptable items include:  oil and lead-based paint, pesticides, household chemicals, automotive and tractor batteries, lawn and garden products, waste motor oil, automotive fluids, stripper, varnish, paint thinners/solvents, turpentine, and varnish.  Something new this year will be the collection of used or unwanted fire extinguishers. Please note that latex paint will NOT be accepted.  Unacceptable items include: compressed gas cylinders, Freon, infectious and biological wastes, fluorescent tubes, explosives, ammunition, fireworks, radioactives (including smoke alarms) and tires.

Pre-registration is recommended.  Participants who haven’t registered may be subject to the entire cost of waste disposal.  You can register by calling (920) 845-9700 or mailing a registration form to:  625 3rd Street, Luxemburg, WI  54217. You can also go to the Local Emergency Planning Committee website:  www.kewauneeco.org/LEPC to download a registration form.  When registering, please include your name, phone number, address, township, preferred time and the amount and type of waste you will be bringing.  If you need to dispose of any unknown hazardous waste, you must register in advance as soon as possible so the chemical can be identified by an expert.

If you have any questions or would like more information about how to safely dispose of unwanted chemicals, please call the Kewaunee County Emergency Management office at (920) 845-9700.


Leave a comment

Filed under General Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s